miboot documentation?

mike newman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 4 18:17:01 2003

> The YDLv3.0 install disk includes miBoot alongside of BootX at the top
> level, but does not give instructions.
> I really want to avoid the disk space it takes to put up a fully
> functional MacOS partition just so I can use BootX.

i was wondering about that myself. i never did figure out exactly what to
do with miboot. however, my impression is that BootX is actually a MacOS
application. ie, it needs to be run in a macintosh os. if you are using
bootx then that means that (like me) you have "old world rom" and that you
basically have no option: you need that macos partition.

however, you certainly don't need very much of a macos partition. back
when i had only 2gig i had a separate macos 8.6 partition that was more or
less functional, yet took <400mb, including swap. now it seems that if you
were to create a macos partition with no applications at all, no
extensions, no control panels, no internet support, no swap ..... in short
just the absolute minimum system folder plus bootx, you could possibly get
to a point where the real estate on your disk would be negligible. also
make sure you turn off virtual memory in macos, otherwise it will require
space on your mac partition equal to your RAM. it's a little inelegant
(either that or the world's most powerful bootloader :-) but i don't know
of a way around it.

i recently upgraded to 40gig, so i didn't bother to see just how far i
could push that macos partition, plus i did want to have a macos around
anyway.

mike newman