GNU/Linux Digital Recording Studio

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 6 15:29:01 2003

Hello Jonathan, and list:

A comprehensive list of audio and multimedia packages cand be found ad
Planet CCRMA

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/planetccrma.html

The packages include a low-latency kernel and a full range of synthesis, recording
and multimedia apps. It's Redhat-based, so hopefully it should translate to the YDL
environment reasonably well. It also uses apt-get for installation, so if the
packages ever came to exist for YDL, the installation process wouldn't be that foreign.

I actually did the install on an Intel system (Redaht 7.3) and it was quite easy. It was
a time-saver not having to scour the internet for all those apps, as well. The maintainers
are always adding new packages and doing tweaks to keep things running smoothly.

Another similar project is Turnkey Linux Audio:

http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/home.html

It's similar in concept, but made to install on a Mandrake-based system.