miboot documentation? (really minimal BootX)

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 10 02:27:01 2003

Hi Rick,

Am Mittwoch, 09.04.03, um 22:28 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Rick Thomas:

> Thanks Alex!  That's a really great HOWTO.  It covers all the bases.
> Long is good! in this case.
>
> Just out of curiosity, where did you learn all that stuff in the first
> place?
>
> Is there an "official" document somewhere that gives the syntax and
> semantics (even if informally!) of the "boot.conf" file?

Nope, not really. If, then it should be at Ben Herrenschmid's homepage
- but I haven't found it yet (din't search intensly though :)

http://penguinppc.org/~benh/

Maybe a complete documentation was included in earlier versions of
miboot. I remember that stuff from back when I used LinuxPPC. Miboot
was the way, they got bootable install CDs (and it is still possible to
get bootable CDs for OldWorld machines this way). Therefore, in those
days, miboot support was offered through LinuxPPC support in a way ;)
IMHO, it is the easiest way, to get OldWorld machines and NuBus
PowerMacs to boot a Linux only installation, as it avoids loading any
MacOS stuff and therefore minimizes complications. Only exemtions are
CPU upgrade cards, which usually need some System Extensions to load in
order for the machine to see the newer CPU and switch to it, _before_

> Thanks!

You welcome :)

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040