Experiences with the Conexant modem driver for TiBook?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 10 09:04:01 2003

Hi.

At 10:49 -0400 on 2003-4-10 Jonathan Singer wrote:

 > Has anyone had success with the Conexant modem driver?
 > (hcfusbserial) I've attempted to install it on a 550 MHz TiBook
 > running YDL 2.3.

Works very well for me (Tibook 667MHz, i.e., rev. III, i.e., April
2002).

 > It went through installation and setup correctly, but I am unable
 > to insmod the module, getting a stream of unresolved symbol errors.

It is then probably the kernel.  It is either that the stock YDL 2.3
one does not work, or that some needed things are not compiled in.  I
have been using the stock kernel for too short a time to actually be
sure about what I am saying, but seems reasonable enough.

 > Does the stock 2.3 kernel work?

Given your experience, it probably doesn't.  I strongly suggest
upgrading to the latest benh kernel (as does the README for the
Conexant package).  Even if you do not plan to use the said package, I
still recommend upgrading to the said kernel; it contains too many
goodies and fixes to enumerate here--it is the best thing since sliced
bread, especially for tibooks.

 > What dialers (kppp, wvdial) work once you get it running?

Wvdial works, kppp does not (I had to pass an extra string to the
modem to ignore the tone, and kppp does not seem to allow for
something like this; other than this, it should work).

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.