DRI and the radeon.o kernel module

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 11 09:24:03 2003

Hi Bill.

I should have thought myself to look into the os-support subdirectory,
but the fact is that I did not, so thanks so much for the solution.
The kernel with the new radeon DRM driver compiled just fine, I cannot
reboot right now but will do so soon without expecting problems (if
there are any, I will report them to the list of course).

There is one addition (specific to Radeon cards?) to your howto
though:

At 01:50 -0400 on 2003-4-11 Bill Fink wrote:

 > 	2.  Within your XFree86-4.3.0 source tree:
 >
 > 	    cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel
 > 	    cp * /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm
 >
 > 	    This replaces your kernel's DRM modules with the newer
 > 	    ones from XFree86-4.3.0

There are as well shared (OS independent) files that need to be copied
into /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm.  So one should also do within
step 2:

            cd <base>
            cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/drm/kernel
   	    cp * /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm

where <base> is the place where one unarchived the XFree86 tree.

Without this the compilation of radeon.o complains (justly ;-) ) about
missing headers.

Did I thank you for the howto?  Well, thanks a lot, it's been very
useful.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.