My YDL 3.0 Install

Drew Lane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 18 12:47:01 2003

Thought I would share my experience installing YDL 3.0

First, I am very impressed with it overall, but there
are a few problems.

I decided to install on my old Performa 6360 before
upgrading my main server, just in case.  I did an "everything"
install just so that I could check it all out.  This takes about
5 GB of space and took something like 3 hours to install from
the CD.  I used an unallocated 7 GB partition for this.

I have to use BootX with this old world machine, and I was
able to figure everything out, but I didn't really see any good
instructions on the CD.  Fortunately, I have done this a few
times before and it was not too difficult.

However, I kept having trouble getting the installer to run
from the ramdisk.  The graphical installer would not run at
all, and the text installer would freeze when it asked which
media I wanted to install from (CD in my case).  I figured it
was probably something to do with the built in video, so I
eventually selected no video driver on bootX and was able
to run the text based installer.  The install went well, with
no errors.

I rebooted, tweaked by BootX prefs, and Linux started to
load.  Everything went well until it tried to load CUPS, at
which point it froze up.  I did this about 3 times and finally
bypassed CUPS manually and I was in.  The only other thing
that was kinda strange was that the screen blanks twice while
it's booting.

After tweaking a few of my Xautoconfig parms I started
X and everything looked pretty good.  Except, it didn't sound
very good.  In fact, there is no audio at all!  I don't know, maybe
a certain module didn't load or something.  Not sure at this point.
I can't get audio from the command line or from KDE/Gnome.

BTW, is it just me or do KDE and Gnome look too similar now?

That's about all I can think of right now.  If anyone has suggestions
with respect to CUPS or the audio problem, I'm all ears.

Drew