sound card recogintion?

Jonathan Segel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 1 12:11:00 2003

thanks all for the input, this worked. posting here for future
searchers to find.
one thing that i did discover is that  modprobe  won't be recognized
without it's path. i had to type /sbin/modprobe  thingstuff    every
time...

now to figure out if i can compile alsa in YDL...

anybody get that happening with the dmasound_pmac built in card?

-jonathan

>CR writes:
>
>I'm not sure if this will do the trick but I have an 8550 that had problems
>with sound as well.  I found some link somewhere and followed some
>instruction to get it to work.
>
>Here is what I did:
>
>1) at cmd:  modprobe dmasound_pmac
>2) sound control panel in KDE:  Sound I/O tab:  Sound I/O Method is
>Autodetect
>
>See if you can here a test sound.  If you can then you need to make this
>change permanent by editing the file:  /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S99local
>
>and adding the line:  modprobe dmasound_pmac

>  > >From: Jonathan Segel <jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com>
>>  >Subject: how can i get back to kudzu?
>>  >
>>  >i just reinstalled YDL 3.0 on a mac 8500, mostly because my first
>>  >install lacked any dev tools that i need to compile some audio apps i
>>  >want to try.
>>  >the first install, mostly the desktop minimum, went fine and at first
>>  >run launched kudzu whcih wanted to confirm that the Apple DMA sound
>>  >card was the sound out.
>>  >(the second install died trying to add server apps, so i excised those)
>>  >third install which included more dev libs to compile things went
>>  >fine, but first run says no sound card is detected. trying to launch
>>  >any KDE sound detection can't find it, says /dev/dsp doesn't exist..?
>>  >how can i rerun kudzu or something to make it know that the onboard
>  > >sound card is still there?

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495