Just Curious: Which Mail Client Do You Use?

Steve yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Aug 2 16:12:01 2003

I was a long time Mozilla mail user for about 4 years. Even though it
was buggy, slow, etc. at the start, I wanted to do my part to help the
effort succeed with the testing and bug reports. Having the same mailer
on my Mac, Linux, and Windows platforms was pretty cool, and overall it
is a good mailer. But its inability to save text-only drafts without
placing in hard carriage returns drove me absolutely nuts. 4 years, and
it still can't do it for some reason. Lack of out-of-the-box spell
checker also annoying.

So, at least on the Linux side, I've moved on to Evolution to try things
out. I'm using 1.2, and there are some annoying things like the spell
checker only working if I do the "highlight while I type" option. The
"check spelling when I tell you to" option doesn't seem to work. I'm
having troubles with the trash. Program doesn't empty my trash folders
on exit like it's supposed to, why isn't there a pref to just move
deleted email to my trash folder instead of leaving deleted email in
their original folder with a strikethrough, etc. But I like what the
Gnome people are doing usability-wise, so I'll stick with it for a
while. 1.4 is out; hopefully it will be better.

>From a console side, I use mutt and pine. Former is overly complicated
to learn but powerful. Reminds me of vi; only any good for people who
really want to sit down and go through a flat learning curve. I still
respect pine a great deal for a simple interface and ease of use.

Steve