rpc_secure

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 4 17:40:01 2003

--=-gOxuvmt8QAHZFsrXERcB

Greetings:
I was reviewing the terse reports of my system logs, and other related
events when I started looking a few things up, as I am wont to do from
time to time.  I looked up ports, which led to remote procedure calls
(rpc) and then I saw rpc_secure (which looks like a good thing to me as
it uses the DES routine) but I got the message below:

The document "rpc_secure" couldn't be found.  It may have been removed
from your system.

I hope to be clear about this, I am not yet sure the correct niche for
rpcs or their role across the net or even within my own system.  I will
admit I'm still learning and that right now, I don't know their use.
But I intend to find out and master every detail.  But right now it
really bothers me that ANYTHING was "removed from my system" that I use
when it refers to Open Source Linux.

I would expect and accept a proprietary restriction from Apple or any
other company because I am accepting dealing with that view which makes
their product that product.  I have not come to expect that from Terra
Soft because Linux is Open Source and in my understanding they take the
lead and role of preening the Open Source software which is gargantuan
down to that which works and runs on ppc systems.  And although I need
further education in many Unix areas of expertise (and who doesn't) I do
know it is possible to write DES and other encryption systems on, for
and by a ppc.

So "where" is rpc_secure and the information and help system about it?

Regarding CUPS, I've found that every time I boot up I have to re-enter
the same data regarding the details of location, model, and options for
my printer in the Modification and Configuration pages.
Back with Champion Server, well I had a different printer then and I had
no problems because I couldn't get the OS to see the printer anyway.  So
yeah, I had "no problems" then.  But seriously, what is going on with
CUPS?  Why do I have to do that at every boot-up without fail.  I know
that servers are never supposed to be "shutdown" or "go off line" but
hey, I am not the local power company and it is not feasible for me to
keep my system on for more time than I'm working on it.
Therefore my Linux system needs a way to remember what its settings were
the day or even a few hours before.

I use an old Beige G3 tower, and the system battery is fine because the
date and time is reported correctly.

I would appreciate your help and explanation.

--=-gOxuvmt8QAHZFsrXERcB

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Greetings:<BR>
I was reviewing the terse reports of my system logs, and other related events when I started looking a few things up, as I am wont to do from time to time.&nbsp; I looked up ports, which led to remote procedure calls (rpc) and then I saw rpc_secure (which looks like a good thing to me as it uses the DES routine) but I got the message below:<BR>
<BR>
The document &quot;rpc_secure&quot; couldn't be found.&nbsp; It may have been removed from your system.<BR>
<BR>
I hope to be clear about this, I am not yet sure the correct niche for rpcs or their role across the net or even within my own system.&nbsp; I will admit I'm still learning and that right now, I don't know their use.&nbsp; But I intend to find out and master every detail.&nbsp; But right now it really bothers me that ANYTHING was &quot;removed from my system&quot; that I use when it refers to Open Source Linux.<BR>
<BR>
I would expect and accept a proprietary restriction from Apple or any other company because I am accepting dealing with that view which makes their product that product.&nbsp; I have not come to expect that from Terra Soft because Linux is Open Source and in my understanding they take the lead and role of preening the Open Source software which is gargantuan down to that which works and runs on ppc systems.&nbsp; And although I need further education in many Unix areas of expertise (and who doesn't) I do know it is possible to write DES and other encryption systems on, for and by a ppc.<BR>
<BR>
So &quot;where&quot; is rpc_secure and the information and help system about it?<BR>
<BR>
Regarding CUPS, I've found that every time I boot up I have to re-enter the same data regarding the details of location, model, and options for my printer in the Modification and Configuration pages.<BR>
Back with Champion Server, well I had a different printer then and I had no problems because I couldn't get the OS to see the printer anyway.&nbsp; So yeah, I had &quot;no problems&quot; then.&nbsp; But seriously, what is going on with CUPS?&nbsp; Why do I have to do that at every boot-up without fail.&nbsp; I know that servers are never supposed to be &quot;shutdown&quot; or &quot;go off line&quot; but hey, I am not the local power company and it is not feasible for me to keep my system on for more time than I'm working on it.<BR>
Therefore my Linux system needs a way to remember what its settings were the day or even a few hours before.<BR>
<BR>
I use an old Beige G3 tower, and the system battery is fine because the date and time is reported correctly.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I would appreciate your help and explanation.
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=-gOxuvmt8QAHZFsrXERcB--