Galeon and popups

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 7 09:28:01 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:21:38PM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Regarding the FIrebird product however, they clearly state that it is
> experimental, unstable and not to be relied upon.

Really?!  I've just been through their website
(http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/) and find nothing stating
that it's unstable or unreliable.  Could you clarify on where you
saw this stated and who "they" are?

I've been running Phoenix 0.5 since the middle of January.  I run it
every day for at least 8 hours during the day.  I work for an Internet
company and would say that my browser use is pretty intense.  I have
had zero problems with Phoenix.  It's never crashed, never locked up,
starts quickly, and does everything that I need it to do.  The binary
provided by Neill Miller makes the install painless (move the tar file
to a directory, untar it, change into the directory, then ./phoenix).
Hardly an inconvenience by any means.

> As I stated, I didn't have to download and install Galeon; YDL already
> did that.  It was available under the submenu and I've been using it
> since.  There is enough details to master in Linux without
> having to chase down a convenience which should be obvious.

"Chasing down a convenience" is a choice and that's what Linux has been
about since the beginning ... choices.  If a package doesn't do what
you want it to, chose a different package, chose to write your own, or
chose to deal with it.  If it does what you need it to do, choose to
stick with it.  Either way it's always been a choice and this is what
makes Linux great.

$0.02
--
Ken Schweigert, Network Administrator