excessive old-world failure of YDL 3.0 install

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 10 11:24:01 2003

On a PowerTower Pro, is it possible to install YDL 3.0 with an
upgrade card and UW SCSI?

I have tried this maybe 75 times now (sadly, I'm not joking), using
every trick I know from a long history with Linux/PPC, and YDL going
back to 1.0. There appear to be about 6 independent failure modes
than I have encountered over and over. CDROM not found, X server
crashed, abnormal exit from the installer, pure freezes, and more.
Exactly once out of the 75 or so times has the install completed, and
that install could not find the root partition for some reason.

I pretty much know all the tricks, having used this box from before
Terrasoft offered a distribution, and with YDL 1.0 and 2.x. I'm
trying to find out if anyone has succeeded with 3.0. I've used the
following hardware in all combinations:

Video:
    Radeon 7000
    ATI Rage Pro 8Meg
    Twin Turbo
    Matrox Millenium

SCSI:
    Adaptec 2940UW
    Atto UL2D

RAM:
    224 to 704 Meg, known good

CPU:
    Sonnet G4/800
    PowerLogix G3/500

Is it time to look for another distribution? :-/

Stefan Jeglinski