Sound: External Speakers Emit Sound; Built-in Speaker Doesn't

J. De Salvo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 13 18:58:01 2003

Hi, Fellow Dog Lovers--

I'm more curious about this than I am troubled by it, but  I'm hoping
someone can enlighten me about this.

My G-4 Sawtooth with its built-in speaker rarely emits sound. On
occasion, if I logout of KDE and restart X11 and KDE, sound will come
through the built-in speaker. I get NO sound output from the built-in
speaker out of Gnome--my preferred "window manager"--even if I logout
and log back into X and Gnome.

However, if my USB Sound Sticks are plugged into my USB hub when I boot
into Linux, I get sound with no problem, both in Gnome and KDE and
without having to logout and restart X11.

There are times, however, when having the stereo speakers connected is a
bit of overkill, especially for system notifications and the like. Why
does the built-in hardware NOT work but the external USB speakers
connected to a USB hub never fail?

Ideas on why this phenomenon occurs and what I might do to get sound to
come through the built-in speaker?

Thanks.

Best,
--Joe