Open Office Upgrade

Kevin B. Hendricks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 17 17:17:01 2003

Hi,

>  Asked for help on this list and all the feedback I got was that people
> were having the same problem. Nobody reported a successful install.

Then I must have missed it.  I get the digest version and sometimes skim to
rapidly.  In the "README" it asks bug reporters to contact me directory or
file an Official Issuezilla.

> > - forget to send me a stack trace of your error?
>
>  No crash/stack trace needed. The install refused to accept any JRE. If
> I tried to proceed without one, OO was completely non-functional (this
> is not a huge surprise).

It is to me.  Java is actually not needed by OOo and virtually unused.  Java
is used during the build and for some recently added escoteric filters.  It
is also needed if you want to include an applet in a word doc or in an html
page.  It is not actually needed to run anything!!!

Which Java are you using?  Only Sun or Blackdown's JDK will work on any
platform.  So we can only use the Blackdown JDK that is actually sitting
right beside the OOo binaries on the YDL ftp site in software/openoffice/

It is the jdk used to build OOo with and does work.  You can choose to ignore
the JDK during isntallation and all should be fine.

> Anyway, after all that, I just tried installing again but a bit
> differently this time.
>
> This time, I didn't uninstall the 1.0 RPM (in fact it was running while
> I performed the install), and when I selected the install type I did the
> minimal one (smallest fingerprint). I wasn't even asked to select my JRE
> and it seemed to have just worked(TM). I haven't tried much with it, I'm
> just shocked that it is working.
>
>  So, does this mean that we should not removed the 1.0 RPM? If so, this
> is definitely not in the docs.

No, I have both running side by side with no problems.  As long as there is a
separate version key (see your ~/.sversionrc file) and OOo 1.0.X is different
from OOo 1.1 you can have them both installed at once with no problem.  I
have 4 version of OOo installed on my machine with no problems.

In fact, I recommend keeping the 1.0.2 RPM until the OOo 1.1 final is complete
and released (within a month or less - I am  testing OOo 1.1 RC3 right now on
my own machine in preparation for the final build.

>  The advantage of an RPM would be that the KDE menu items would now
> point to the new version rather than 1.0. How difficult is it to build
> an RPM? I imagine it was the Terra Soft folks who built the RPM for YDL?

You can actually have both by simply doing the following before installing OOo
1.1RC2

cd ~/.kde/share/
ln -s applnk-redhat applnk

Then install OOo 1.1 RC3 from scratch and you will have a separate OOo folder
to play with with 1.1 menu items

The RPM is not the issue.  The issue is all of the extra RedHat patches that
disable java and do a few other things many people will not like that were
part of the RedHat OOo 1.0.2 rpms.   Also the source code is huge and is not
easy to build (3 gig to hold source and object files) so doing RPMs the
correct way and not simply repackaging binaries is a bit of a pain.

I will try to get rpms made after OOo 1.1 goes final and seems to be working
well for everyone.

>  Anyway, sorry again for my tone, and I'll let you know how this install
> works.

No problem ...  I am on a diet and very grouchy ...
Also it just gets hard to see 2 years of hard work on this project get put
down especially when your wife makes it clear that you spend to much time
trying to help out on things to begin with ....

Please try the JDK kept besdie the RC2 binaries (or hitting ignore or cancel
or whatever to get past the "no correct JDK version found" and you should be
fine.

Kevin