XWindow fails, NV(0): no valid modes

Joshua Brown yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 18 06:24:01 2003

Well, I've been wrestling with this one for a while, and after scouring
the web, and these mailing lists, have found no solutions.  I recently
installed YDL 3.0 onto my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver Dual 1 Ghz, with the
GeForce 4 MX card.  My problem is that XWindow will not start at all.
Text mode boots fine, and I can reconfigure X, but issuing "startx"
yields the same results: crash!  I had to install using the text
installer because the GUI installer wouldn't even load.  I have gotten
the same install to work on my Powerbook, but apparently YDL 3.0
doesn't like this video card.  The YDL website says that my
configuration is supported (albeit without hardware acceleration) so
any ideas?

I'm kinda a newbie, so if I have to reinstall a kernel, please include
brief instructions!

Cheers,

Josh