kernel panic on boot

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 20 20:04:01 2003

>You need to set the root device correctly in your bootloader.  The
>panic is telling you that the kernel couldn't find a valid root
>partition to boot from at sdb6 (6th partition of SCSI device sdb),
>which is what you currently have the bootloader set to.

You can only do this so many times until you convince yourself that
you can't possibly be making a mistake.

>VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb6" or 08:16
>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:16
>
>I never had this issue with YD 2.3.  Does anyone know what the
>solution may be?

>PowerCenter Pro 240
>64 MBs RAM
>2 GB UWide SCSI (Mac OS 9)
>9 GB UWide SCSI (Linux)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The problem is right here. I just went through this. Your install
kernel (8dBOOT) has enough UW support built in. Your boot kernel (8d)
does not. Doesn't that just [expletives deleted]?

There is no solution if you have only the Terrasoft installer. You
must download a kernel built by someone with a bit more foresight. I
downloaded a binary of 2.4.21-ben2, but for the life of me I cannot
find the link I found (or was given, I don't remember) to do so. If
no one else can produce it, I can post by own build of this kernel
which will allow you to boot, and then download and build your own.

Stefan Jeglinski