Using yum to install a new kernel on Oldworld/BootX machines?

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 4 09:55:08 2003

>Ok,  "yum check-update" tells me that there's a new kernel (and a
>bunch of other stuff) out there on the repository that I should be
>installing.
>
>I'm running a beige G3 which is OldWorld, so I'm using BootX.
>
>In that environment, if I just do "yum update" and answer the
>questions, I won't get the new kernel the next time I boot -- will
>I?  This is because yum can't update the Linux kernel in the MacOS
>partition, right?

That would be correct.

Caveat: I build all my kernels, so this is all theoretical, but I
doubt I'm wrong, as even with building the kernel, one is faced with
the same final issue on an Old World machine.

>So... (1) what *is* the proper incantation to make the new kernel
>available so it will be picked up on the next boot?

I expect that yum-updating the kernel will put it in /boot. So you
just have to do the same procedure as you do for any kernel - copy
the installed vmlinux file (aka the binary kernel) in question to
somewhere that the Mac has access to while in OS9. Then reboot into
OS9, go get the kernel, and put it in your Linux Kernels folder in
the System Folder, so BootX will see it next time you launch it.

I would assume that the yum update also installs the correct
System.map and modules into their appropriate locations as well; it
would be a stupid updater otherwise I think. Since these are not
relevant to OS9 or BootX, you need not do anything with them.

>   (2) Do I also have to do something with an initial ram disk?  I
>don't remember having to fiddle with initrd when I originally set up
>this box, so I assume the answer to (2) is no, unless something has
>changed with this new kernel.  But I've learned that to assume is
>dangerous.  So I ask for expert advice.

I think you are correct. I've never had to mess with or create an
initrd file ever. The file is, loosely speaking, essentially a
mountable root file system for booting purposes, to my understanding.
Its main use appears to be for installers, and it has a more
prominent role on Intel boxes. One has to create it by hand, although
I think there are tools to help. I'd gladly accept a more robust
explanation from someone that knows what they are talking about.

Stefan Jeglinski