What's up with apt

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Dec 6 21:15:03 2003

Thomas Carlson wrote:

> Is apt now totally defunct in YDL 3.0?  As of this week it doesn't
> seem to be able to access updates.  With yum terminally afflicted with
> "Errno104, Connection Reset by Peer", what is the best way to update a
> new installation now?
>
> Tom

"Terminally afflicted"? I hope not. This is a problem that keeps popping
up on the list. Below is the post which pointed me to the solution of
the "Errno 104"--worked for me.   Good luck!    --Harvey

Are you sure you don't just have the same problem that Stephen Gross had a few digests ago which may have been the same as a problem I had?

If so - check my reply -

"I had exactly this problem for a while. I solved it (seemingly) in the end by editing /etc/yum.conf and changing the default location for downloads to my local (fairly local anyway) ftp mirror.

here's mine - (in the uk)
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
baseurl=ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
baseurl=ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/

It's the 'baseurl' lines tht need editing - make sure that whatever url you put in points to content equivalent to the url you are overwriting - I just did this with two browser windows open making sure that what I saw was the same and that the directories had the same content.
That solved my problem. Before I made the change even small files made yum get reset but since then (fingers crossed) I've had no trouble and not one connection reset.

Hope that helps."