ide-scsi with bootx

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 02:02:01 2003

> I just added a cdrw drive to my beige G3.  On an x86 box I would have
> to add "append /dev/cdrom=ide-scsi" to my lilo.conf or grub.conf.  Do I
> need to do this somewhere on my G3 and if so where?  The boot options
> line in bootx maybe?  Does anyone have any experience with this?

The boot options line in BootX.  Don't use "/dev/cdrom=ide-scsi" though,
use "/dev/hdX=ide-scsi" instead, where you replace X with the
corresponding letter (most commonly a,b,c,d) for your CD-ROM drive
(indicating whether it's on the primary or secondary IDE bus, as master
or slave).

This is because /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link.  When you change the CD
drive access method from raw IDE to the ide-scsi adapter, you are also
going to change the symbolic link /dev/cdrom from pointing to /dev/hdX
to /dev/scdN.  The scd device nodes (for SCSI CD drives) can't exist
before you have a SCSI adapter.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,