Displaying problems

m-rick yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 16:11:02 2003

Hi

I have installed Yellow Dog 3.01 on my computer. It is a G4 400 Mhz with
an ATI Radeon 32 Mac Edition (ADC) the first model and 1 Gb of ram.

The install was OK, but while isntalling it has detected my video card
as an ATI Radeon (generic) and didn't see my monitor... When booting in
YDL it's ok, but when starting X, my screen is completely mixed up I
can't see nothing, only the cursor is clear ...

I have the manipulation in XF86Config like explained in the site, but no
success.

In fact, if I set up 640x480 it works, very good for a 17" monitor ... I
can't choose other resolution, even 800x600, my graphic card is not
recognized well since there's the good one in the list in Display, and
the 3D accelration is not activated ....

My monitor supports the following :
Refresh rate 50.0 x 120.0 Hz
Horizontale freq. 30.0 x 80.0 KHz
bandwidth 350 MHz

I can use it untill 1600x1200 at 65 Hz under Mac OS and actually I use
it at 1344x1008 at 75 Hz.

If I set up XF86Config with 1280x1024 at 75 Hz and a horinzontale
frequency at 79 Hz, doesn't work, good ... It is the one I have under OS
X ....

Something else, how can I access my cd-rom player ?? I open the opened
the /mnt/cdrom with a cd inside the player, and nothing ! Same for the ZIP !

Linux is beautiful, but if it's impossible to open easily a CD and set
up my screen resolution, it's ready to be used by home users ...

Section "Modes"

# Generated
# D: 25.176 MHz, H: 31.469 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
Identifier     "Modes0"
ModeLine     "640x480" 25.2 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
ModelName    "Panasonic S17"