revB 12inch Powerbook gui problem

Jeff Kearns yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 18:20:05 2003

I have a revB (september 2003) 12" powerbook.  I tried installing the
2.4.20 YDL 3.0.1 package but had anaconda issues.  The new 2.4.22 YDL
3.0.1 package installed OK, so I was very happy about that.

The problem, however, is that I can only boot to a text prompt.  When it
tries to start the gui (xserver, right?), it fails with a gibberish error
about a driver failure in the graphics card.  It then has me run a wizard
to reselect my graphics card, which is the infamous GeforceFX Go 5200.
This isn't on the list provided by XFree 4.3.0, so I just select the
default OT generic and set the VRAM to 32MB.  The problem isn't solved
though.

Any ideas on how I can get my graphics card to be recognized properly?
Should I just wait until the January 1 (ish) release of XFree 4.4.0??  How
have others with the revB 12" Powerbook dealt with this problem?

Thanks so much!