problems with new powerbook 15" and ATI 9600

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 15 00:31:02 2003

> im trying to make working on my machine XFree86 with the ATI 9600 support
>
> i downloaded the latest release
>
> XFree86-4.3.99.16
> unpack it
> cd xc
> make World
>
> mv /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.old

Moving the old XFree86 aside isn't enough, you also need to copy the new
one you built in its place and copy the modules you built, too (be sure
to move the old modules aside first!).

Support for various graphics cards is not in the XFree86 binary itself,
but in the modules.  The new modules don't work with the older XFree86,
which is why you need to replace both.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,