Kernel 2.6 on YDL (was: HOWTO Run JBuilder X on linux/ppc)

Jeroen Zwartepoorte yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 23 01:21:00 2003

Hi Geert,

I built the kernel on a YDL 3.0.1 system, using benh's rsync repository.
Do something like this:

mkdir /usr/src/pmac-benh26

cd /usr/src/pmac-benh26

rsync -avvz --delete --partial --blocking-io
source.mvista.com::linuxppc-2.5-benh .

make pmac_defconfig

make

make modules_install

Copy vmlinux and System.map to /boot

Create an initrd file (using mkinitrd)

Change yaboot.conf and run ybin after that

Make sure your modutils package is new enough (get a new src.rpm one
from the Fedora ftp site and rebuild it).

Then reboot and watch kernel 2.6 start.

The only thing that doesn't work so far is sound (OSS). I haven't tried
any ALSA software yet though.

Regards,

Jeroen