modprobe, USB, and other modules

nathan r. hruby yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 28 17:23:02 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Olaf Olson wrote:

> If modprobe is to be used to somehow configure it or load the drivers
> necessary to access it, I haven't yet stumbled on the right combination
> of modprobe commands and/or module names to load anything remotely
> resembling usb. Can it be that I must create a new kernel, with the usb
> devices installed? If so, where do I go to look for instructions on that?

Does the 8500 even have PCI slots?  It's been so long since I looked in
one :)  Anyway.. the easiest thing to do would be to see if YDL
automatically found your usb card at boot.  the easiest way to do that is
to simple do "dmesg | grep usb"  if ydl found your card it should be
reported there and you can just start using your USB devices happily.

On my Dell the output would look like this (the output will be similar on
YDL):
[nathan@mooby nathan]$ dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 11:43:19 Dec  1 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xff80, IRQ 14
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
[nathan@mooby nathan]$

If not, you may need to manually load the driver with modprobe.  The
specific command for this varies because there are two different types of
USB bridges, which require different modules, usb-ohci or usb-uhci.  If
you don't know which kind your card requires, try just a plain ol modprobe
with one and then do a "tail /var/log/messages" and see if it succeeded.
If it didn't there will be an error and you can try the other.  (You'll
need to be root to perform these commands)

If those tips don't work, you'll need to tell us about a bit more your USB
Controller card (like what kind and model number is it :).

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free