YDL 3.01 on Second partition?

Michael Torrie yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 28 20:21:00 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 19:59, Tony Clark wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I had a bit of a search on the lists, but nothing much came up on this.
>   Is there a reason I can't install YDL on my second Mac partition?  I
> have a PB G4 12" with 10.3 on the first partition and a spare 10GB
> partition for a form of Linux.  I'd like to put YDL on it, but the docs
> all seem to insist on it going on the first which is a bit of a pain
> given that I have a neatly installed 10.3 and all my apps on the first
> (larger, of course) partition.

I have a PB 12" 1 OS X 10.3 partition.  Just make sure you have the
latest iso images that can deal with 10.3's partitioning.  Works rather
well.

The only showstopper on the 12" is that there is *no* support (nada,
none) for any power management at all.  No sleep, no control over the
screen brightness or anything.  The CPU runs at full speed (no /proc
control over CPU speed in the 12" either) and the CPU fan is on
full-time.  You'll get about 60 minutes of battery life.  In short, it's
pretty useless to use as a real laptop.  Hopefully this will be remedied
in the near future.  Other than that, and the fact that Broadcom is
being a complete retard about releasing specs for drivers on their
airport extreme (which will most likely never be supported under linux),
OS X and linux will get along just fine.  I'm typing this on my
yellowdog install right now.

Michael