modprobe, USB, and other modules

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 28 22:01:01 2003

Sacrilege! I am a newbie posting here!

I am attempting to install a USB card into my 8500 and am having
difficulty figuring out what to do with it after I plug the card in. Of
course, I got the part about power-on and starting YDL down - that
didn't actually change - but now I am forced to admit defeat,
temporarily, I hope. Hardware inventory shows the card, but I am
clueless as to how to make it work, where to address it, what to expect.

If modprobe is to be used to somehow configure it or load the drivers
necessary to access it, I haven't yet stumbled on the right combination
of modprobe commands and/or module names to load anything remotely
resembling usb. Can it be that I must create a new kernel, with the usb
devices installed? If so, where do I go to look for instructions on that?

I'm not afraid, probably because I don't know what to be afraid of, but
mostly because I have nothing to lose. I haven't had either the 8500 or
YDL long enough to lose data and everything about it is intended for me
to learn.

Thanks for your time.

Olaf

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.