I have a Nautilus/bonobo error

Denise and Anthony yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 31 17:02:01 2003

    and I haven't found a reference to it in the list archives.  Here it is:

    at login, when ydl is loading up the panel application, I get the
following dialog box errors:

First:
"There was an error registering the panel with the bonobo-activation
server.
'The error code is: 3
The panel will now exit."

    when I hit "OK", the panel starts up but certain applets won't start
and kick back an error:

"The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:
GNOME_MultiLoadApplet"
Details: Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'
Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

    The same error occurs with the following applets:
GNOME_BattStatApplet, GNOME_PagerApplet,
    GNOME_TasklistApplet, GNOME_SystemTrayApplet, and GNOME_ClockApplet.

Second:
"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."

Third:
"Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error."

    I hit the "Details" button on that one, and got another dialog box:

"Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo when
attempting to locate the
factory.Killing bonobo-activation-server and restarting Nautilus may
help fix the problem."

    I tried /usr/bin/bonobo-slay; didn't kill the nautilus process
(which is just the error dialog as far as I can tell)
or the bonobo-activation-server.  I killed those by hand; can't restart
/usr/libexec/bonobo-activation-server,
/usr/bin/bonobo-activation-empty-server just hangs, and
bonobo-activation-run-query kicks back the same error
reported in the applet error dialog boxes.  (CORBA error listed above).

    Killing nautilus or closing the dialog box results in another one
popping up when nautilus attempts to restart.

    I updated all errata recently through yum; currently,

nautilus-2.2.1-4a
bonobo-1.0.22-3
bonobo-activation-2.2.0-2
libbonobo-2.2.0-1

on a G3 500 Mhz laptop (pismo).  Everything was working fine before I
updated through yum, incidentally; although I
was some months out of date.

Thanks in advance for any help!

thx
    anthony