XFree + nVidia + 2.4.20-ben4

r.sesser yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 3 00:41:01 2003

Hello all...

I'm having issues with Xfree 4.2.99.3 which I grabed from CVS and built
myself. I've done this before and everything was working fine but this
last time, something must have been different. I compiled a new kernel
(ben4) without the fbriva so I could use the nv driver in X. Only when I
went to startx, I got the dreaded 'black screen'. So, I went back and
re-compiled my kernel to include the fbriva...now X works, but it's not
as quick as using novideo (which apparently, is broken now). So now I
use the fbriva driver in the kernel which isn't that big of a deal, but
if I set the init level to 5 (with gdm), I get a never ending loop of
what appears to be X crashing and starting again.

I don't understand what could have been different between the two
builds. I'll include links to two xfree log files...one that came from
using the kernel with 'novideo' (which doesn't work) and the other using
the fbriva in the kernel (which does work).

http://www.randys.org/ydl

Also, I'm not getting sound in kde or Gnome anymore...don't
understand this either...

Thanks for any pointers...

--
r.sesser <rjs@randys.org>