Keyboard issues

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 12 10:29:01 2003

On Tue 2003-02-11 at 23.57 Troy Vitullo wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Has anybody had experience with Apple keyboards on Macs?

I also have an extended ADB-keyboard. Since many distros started to use
linux-keycodes things have got funny.

Just for console ... both
shiftkeys work for me. Maybe that's just luck ...;
I did a 'dumpkeys | grep Shift' and got three
assignments (???). At the moment I'm using the the plain US-keymap for
console which was there after install because I have been too lazy to
fix the German console keymap ...

keycode  42 = Shift
keycode  54 = Shift
keycode 123 = Shift

According to the result I get from 'showkey' pressing *any* shiftkey
produces keycode 42, I don't know who or what needs '54' and '123'..

For X it's similar, the command 'xev' gives an X-keycode 50 for both
shiftkeys. Both command keys give 115, and both option keys give 64. The
command key is mapped to nothing when I use us-keys, at least xev tells
me so. So there isn't any Mode-Switch-key. For non-us-keyboard the
Commandkey sometimes works as a Mode_switch ... I'll have a closer look
at everything in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/

Markus