moving a drive

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 24 16:48:01 2003

On Monday, Feb 24, 2003, at 15:28 US/Pacific, Bryan Walls wrote:

> Answering for myself, here's how to do it.
>
> First, as I mentioned in my message below, when you change the drive
> number, you have to figure out the new device name. SCSI device 0 is
> /dev/sda, SCSI device 1 is /dev/sdb, and so on. Your partition number
> will still be the same. So, for me, changing from SCSI drive 0 to SCSI
> drive 2, I needed to change the device in BootX to be /dev/sdc8 (from
> /dev/sda8).
>
> On booting, I came up in single user mode, with the drive mounted
> read-only. To change that, I did "mount -o remount,rw /" to remount
> the drive so I could write to it.
>
> Now, edit the file /etc/fstab and change the entries there. For me,
> with a vanilla install, that means changing the root entry to
> /dev/sdc8, and the swap entry to /dev/sdc3.
>
> A reboot should get you back in business.
>
> If you need to change the IP address your machine is set to, what I do
> is to do a grep on the old IP domain. My old address was in the
> 128.158 domain, so I did:
>
> cd /etc
> grep -s 128.158 *
>
> and then change the entries in any files that hit. For me, it was the
> hosts entry, which needed changing, and resolv.conf, which didn't
> because I am using the DNS servers.
>
> Then I repeated with:
> grep -s 128.158 */*
>
> which gave me the gateway that needed changing in
> /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> and
>
> grep -s 128.158 */*/*
>
> which found /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 which has all
> the initial values -- IP address, gateway address, and DNS info. This
> is the one that will make a difference in the reboot.
>

> ++++++++++++++++
> I have YDL 2.3 all patched up on a drive. It was drive 0. I moved it
> to a new machine, where I had to make it drive 2 (SCSI).
>
> So, I know I now have to call it /dev/sdc8 instead of /dev/sda8 in
> BootX. So I can get to single user mode.
>
> Now I need to go in and fix the swap space description and such, as
> well as the IP address.
>
> How do I mount the single user stuff rw instead of read only? Do I
> just need to modify /etc/fstab for the file system mount point stuff?
>
> --
> Bryan Walls                             My words are not NASA policy.
> Bryan.K.Walls@nasa.gov        	       (256)544-3311voice,544-8752fax

You could have also used the YDL install disk to the same thing. If you
boot the installer into text mode, you can switch to another console
and mount the '/' partition in '/tmp' on the CD. You can then edit your
fstab.

...but since you're already taken care of it...I guess this is a little
too late.

r.