Netatalk and AppleTalk Printers

Joe Villari yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 3 11:07:03 2003

nathan r. hruby wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Joe Villari wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to set up my HP 4MP printer with my TI PowerBook and YDL 2.3.
>>The printer connects to the computer via ethernet. The printer has a
>>serial to ethernet adapter to a hub and the comtupter plugs right into
>>the hub. Works fine from Mac OS.
>>

>Please describe the serial -> ethernet dongle.  Is it a print server like
>device?  If so, it probably has support for LPR printing (you should
>investigate this) so you can print directly to the printer using the
>standard printing tools under YDL.

It is a Farallon ethernet iprint adapter. Basically, the old style apple
print port is contected to a cable which connects to the adapter, the
other side of the adapter is an ethernet cable to the hub. Commonly used
connect non-ethernet Mac printers to ethernet hubs for Mac networking.

>>YDL 2.3 has netatalk running:
>>
>>Jan  3 01:04:54 localhost atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
>>Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: papd startup succeeded
>>Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: afpd startup succeeded
>>
>>According to YDL documentation I should be able to use MOL, go to the
>>chooser and see the linux side. This doesn't happen. I'm not sure if  I
>>need to configure the TCP/IP control panel or not; right now it's set
>>for ppp but appletalk is set for ethernet.
>>
>>According to a howto (http://gdr.free.fr/linux2.html) I found, I should
>>be able to use getzones to see my AppleTalk zones and nbplkup to see
>>into the zones. Here are my results:
>>
>>[root@localhost joev]# getzones
>>atp_rresp: Connection timed out
>>
>>[root@localhost joev]# nbplkup
>>                      localhost:AFPServer
>>65280.207:128
>>                      localhost:netatalk
>>65280.207:4
>>                      localhost:Workstation
>>65280.207:4
>>
>>Notsure what this all means. It appears that netatalk is OK but I don't
>>see any AppleTalk zones.
>>
>>The computer is connected to the hub and the printer is turned on and in
>>the hub. I make my internet connection via pcmcia modem and did change
>>/etc/sysconfig/network  from 'GATEWAYDEV=3Deth0' to GATEWAYDEV=3Dppp0 as
>>per YDL howto (I'm not sure if this will cause any problems for networking).
>>
>>Any ideas, help, documentation or solutions will be appreciated.
>>

>I don't understand what you're trying to do and your setup seems overly
>complex.  Perhaps if you could answer a few questions:
>
>Why are you using a PCMCIA modem and not the onboard ethernet of
>the TiBook?

The only way to connect to the internet is via dial up. The onboard
modem won't work on a TI PowerBook.

>Does the PCMCIA modeam also have an ethernet connection?

No

>Does the PCMCIA modem get recognized by linux at all?

Yes, using it right now for internet connection.

>Are you trying to connect to your printer remotely over a
>PPP connection?

Printer is connected to an ethernet hub.

>Does your MOL session have any networking?

Dunno. According to YDL howto all you had to do is start atalk and then
it appears when you use MOL which is what happens when I used a
standalone Mac machine connected to a hub that my Suse intel server was
plugged into.

>Does nbplkup report the printer sitting on the network?

No I don't think so. See Above

>Do you have a router on your network that is creating zones? (eg: a
>gatorbox, hardware router, netatalk box connected to two seperate
>networks, a VPN connection to a remote site with zones)?

No. This is a very SIMPLE setup, one TI PowerBook connected to a hub and
a printer connected to the hub.

>What exactly are you trying to do?

Get my printer to work under YDL 2.3 from my PowerBook