Netatalk and AppleTalk Printers

Jeroen Diederen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 3 18:20:00 2003

Joe Villari wrote:

> I'm trying to set up my HP 4MP printer with my TI PowerBook and YDL
> 2.3. The printer connects to the computer via ethernet. The printer
> has a serial to ethernet adapter to a hub and the comtupter plugs
> right into the hub. Works fine from Mac OS.
>
> YDL 2.3 has netatalk running:
>
> Jan  3 01:04:54 localhost atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
> Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: papd startup succeeded
> Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: afpd startup succeeded
>
> According to YDL documentation I should be able to use MOL, go to the
> chooser and see the linux side. This doesn't happen. I'm not sure if
> I need to configure the TCP/IP control panel or not; right now it's
> set for ppp but appletalk is set for ethernet.
>
> According to a howto (http://gdr.free.fr/linux2.html) I found, I
> should be able to use getzones to see my AppleTalk zones and nbplkup
> to see into the zones. Here are my results:
>
> [root@localhost joev]# getzones
> atp_rresp: Connection timed out
>
> [root@localhost joev]# nbplkup
>                      localhost:AFPServer
> 65280.207:128
>                      localhost:netatalk
> 65280.207:4
>                      localhost:Workstation
> 65280.207:4
>
> Notsure what this all means. It appears that netatalk is OK but I
> don't see any AppleTalk zones.
>
> The computer is connected to the hub and the printer is turned on and
> in the hub. I make my internet connection via pcmcia modem and did
> change /etc/sysconfig/network  from 'GATEWAYDEV=3Deth0' to
> GATEWAYDEV=3Dppp0 as per YDL howto (I'm not sure if this will cause
> any problems for networking).
>
> Any ideas, help, documentation or solutions will be appreciated.
>
> Joe

try to restart atalk when the printer is on and then do a nbplkup. When
I do it I see this:

service atalk restart
nbplkup
diederen:AFPServer           65280.138:131
Gast-folder:AFPServer        65280.138:129
Linuxprinter:LaserWriter     65280.138:128
diederen:netatalk            65280.138:4
diederen:Workstation         65280.138:4
Lasertje:LaserWriter         65520.80:128

Lasertje is the name of my printer as it is written in the hardware, the
Linuxprinter is the same one, but configured on my Linuxbox via CUPS.

more info:
http://www.giub.unibe.ch/%7Eeugster/appleprint.html
http://gdr.free.fr/linux2.html