FTP slow initial connection

David McInnis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 10 17:07:01 2003

I had this problem too.  It turns out that I had to make a small change
to my router settings.  I wish I could remember what the setting was.  I
wanted to blame YellowDog and ProFTP as well.

I spent too many hours troubleshooting Proftp before I realized it was
the router.  Nothing to do with the ftp server or YDL.  I hope this
helps you troubleshoot your issue.

David McInnis

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Drew Lane
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 3:34 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: FTP slow initial connection

I read a few posts in the archive regarding this, but I can't
seem to resolve the problem.

I've got Pro FTP running behind a NAT router with entries
to forward to port 21.  I can get a connection to the FTP server
from outside my LAN but it takes a very long time (> 60 secs).

 From within the LAN, the connection is almost immediate.

I read that the FTP server is doing a reverse lookup and it's
timing out because it can't find the client.  Sound right?

If so, what's the solution for people who want to connect
to my FTP server from the internet without the long delay?

One suggestion was to modify /etc/hosts, but I don't see
this as a practical solution for people connecting from the net. (?)

Drew