Communicating with YDL CUPS server from OS X

Alan Somers yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 17 21:35:01 2003

Let me answer my own questions for the benefit of anyone else trying this.

>  I have a PowerCenter running YDL that I want to use as a print server.
>  I want to use CUPS on the server and be able to print to it from an
>  iBook running OS X.  I have two printers I want to serve up.  One is
>  connected to the USB port of the PowerCenter and the other to a
>  JetDirect 300X print server.
>
>  Once I have the printers set up in CUPS on the PowerCenter, is there
>  anything special I have to do on the server side for the iBook to be
>  able to print to them?

No.  However, during the process, I did find out how automatic
discovery works in OS X printer sharing: it uses the browsing
capability of CUPS!  All I had to do was go into cupsd.conf on the
PowerCenter and modify it in 3 places.

The first change was to set the ServerName parameter to the name I
had in my iBook's NetInfo database because it conflicted with the
host name I had defined in the PowerCenter's configuration (I don't
use a DNS yet for addressing locally networked machines).  This step
is unnecessary if you can address the server by the same
fully-qualified name that it addresses itself.

The second change was to specify a value for the BrowseAddress
parameter, which defines the network that CUPS broadcasts browsing
packets to.  I set it to only broadcast to the local subnet
(192.168.1.255 in my case), just in case.

I had also previously added the iBook as an authorized client in the
<Location /> block, which I found out through experimentation is
required.  I have since changed it to authorize all machines on the
network.

Then, I just restarted the CUPS daemon on the PowerCenter to use the
new configuration.

>  Also (and I realize this is a little off-topic in that it has nothing
>  to do with YDL), what parameters do I use in the OS X Print Center on
>  the iBook to be able to print to the CUPS server on the PowerCenter?

This was the really cool part: I had to do *absolutely nothing* to
print from the iBook to the printers I defined on the PowerCenter!  I
didn't even have to add the printers within Print Center; they
automatically appeared in the printer list and their configuration
was available in the Print dialog.