hwclock has life of its own

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 30 04:40:01 2003

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, so maybe I am
repeating things.

There are two more things that possibly interfere with the clock setting:
1. If the /usr is a separate partition from /, hwclock doesn't find the
locale time settings during boot. This is because when the clock gets
set during boot, only the root partition is mounted. This was discussed
earlier on this list, and a problem I personally experienced.

2. MacOS stores time differently in firmware compared to linux. I don't
know the exact details anymore, but I believe MacOS stores localtime,
while linux stores universal time (UTC ?). This means that when you
switch OS's, and you correct time in that OS, the time in the other OS
gets wrong. I believe this was discussed on the Mac-On-Linux mailing list.

Maybe neither of these is at hand here. But I hope it helps.

Regards,
Geert