Moving the root partition

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 30 07:24:01 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 04.53 Pat Plummer wrote:

> I moved all the boot files to the new boot partition using cp -a .
>
> I am in the process of moving all of the / files using this same
> command (cp -a) to their new position.

There is probably a better way to do this, but I used cp -a once. Just
don't do a 'cp -a *'!
At /-level you'll have to omit '/proc' and everything which is not on
/dev/sda ('/home', /tmpmboot' and '/tmproot' and '/var'). Then go to
/var and do a 'cp -a' with a manually created '/tmproot/var/' as target,
but *omit* '/var/www' and '/var/ftp'. In /tmproot you'll have to
manually create empty dirs ('/proc', and all required mountpoints).

If /dev/sde3 is going to become a swap-partition, you'll have to do a
'mkswap /dev/sde3' before your boot with the new root-partition.

Finally you'll have to edit '/tmproot/etc/fstab' according to your
needs.

> My question is: will this be adequate to create essentially a clone of
> my existing / partition on the new drive or is there a better way to do
> it?

Best Regards, Markus