ssh unreliability

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 30 07:44:00 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:27:45PM -0700, Jesse Wilson wrote:
> I'm running sshd on my yellowdog box, and it seems to keep dropping
> connections whenever it feels like it. It seems not to matter where I'm
> logging in from. Any ideas on how to track down what's going on? I'm
> running the most up-to-date versions of openssh (as far as apt-get will
> give me at least-- 3.5p1-1).

A couple things to try.  Start your sshd daemon in debug mode
	# sshd -d
and watch the output when you connect to it.  Also, when you log into
the server, have the client to verbose logging
	$ ssh -l ken 127.0.0.1 -vv

Another thing would be to see if you have identd running on your client
	$ ps -ax | grep identd
I had all kinds of problems where my ssh sessions would just hang and
stop responding a few minutes into the connection.  Once I started
identd, it's been smooth sailing.

HTH

-ken