(long) Gnome 2 (was YDL 2.3 Custom Install isn't custom)

Etienne Beaule yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 31 14:22:01 2003

> Yes. I just finished the install. Edit /etc/yellowdog-release=20
> ...change the 2.3 to 2.2 and Ximian works fine. Now, I'm not sure if=20=

> this brings up any issues as far as versions of ximian that are=20
> installed, but it seemed to work ok.

This is all well but if I am not mistaken, the current ximian gnome=20
desktop is *not* yet based on gnome 2 but on gnome 1.4...

Gnome 2 is still pretty much bleeding edge (hence my long=20
instructions). I don't know how big it would be to make rpms for the=20
basic gnome2 install. I don't make any promises but I will try to build=20=

some packages during the weekend...

Don't get me wrong, it is not that hard to get gnome 2 with garnome...=20=

I am pretty new to linux and I have very limited programing experience.=20=

I just happened to have a lot of patience and free time last week... ;)

With respect to my previous post for removing KDE, the names of the=20
base packages are actually:
- kdebase
- kdegames
- kdelibs
- kdemultimedia
- kdeartwork
- kdepim
- kamera
- koffice
- kpaint
- knotes
- kmail
- ...

You can apt-get remove these one at the time (start with kdebase or=20
kdelibs) and double-check what apt-get wants to remove in addition to=20
those. Everything that starts with a the letter "k" is basically KDE=20
stuff.

If you want to see the list of packages (to get the names right), just=20=

point your web browser to one of apt-get sources (I use McGill's=20
mirror: http://open.mcgill.ca/ydl/yellowdog-2.3/ppc/YellowDog/ppc/).=20
There are other ways to see the list of packages but I find this trick=20=

very convenient.

Again, unless you are *very* comfortable in the CLI, don't remove your=20=

desktop environment before setting up the new one...

Good luck!

=C9tienne=