DVD on iBook3 800MHz

Etienne Beaule yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 31 14:22:12 2003

> Has anyone had any success with playing DVDs on the 800MHz iBook?
> I've tried compiling xine, oggle, and MPlayer without any success.
> I don't know if this is because I don't have DRI support or not.
> If it is, how do get DRI working. I followed the HOWTO in the YDL=20
> support
> section without any success.

You need a kernel that supports DRI for your video card.

The benh ibook precompiled kernel (www.ppckernel.org) should work fine=20=

for your machine. I installed it this week and it worked great with DRI=20=

(and then decided to recompile it to have some more built-in options -=20=

but that is not required if you don't want to).

With respect to Ogle, there are RPMs out there (on my favorite mirror,=20=

they are available in one of the contrib directory). They worked for me=20=

(even before I had DRI supported) and at a decent speed on my Pismo 500.

I haven't tried playing a DVD since I changed the kernel though so I=20
cannot tell you if DRI makes a difference for playing DVDs (id does for=20=

TucRacer though!) ;)

=C9tienne=