(long) Gnome 2 - the HOW-TO

Etienne Beaule yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 31 18:44:00 2003

> You are not mistaken. The current ximian gnome desktop is 1.4 which is=20=

> what he was looking to do...since you scared him (and me quite=20
> frankly) away from using garnome ;)

All right... now you make me feel bad! ;)

Most of the problems I had were because I followed the instructions on=20=

the outdated how-to (having garnome compile everything is not a Good=20
Idea(TM)).

Here is a revised HOW-TO (it applies to garnome 0.20.0)

Before you begin, make sure you have *everything* it needs. Go read=20
http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/ (the section about "What do I need=20=

to install GARNOME) and install whatever component is missing (use=20
whatever updating tool you like - apt-get, red-carpet, yup, ...). You=20
may want to print this (and this email) and refer to it if something=20
fails. Note that the debian package names that are referenced are not=20
necessarily the one used by YDL. Use rpmfind=20
(http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/) if you have trouble finding the=20
packages to install. If you need to install packages manually, download=20=

them and use the command rpm -ivh [package_name] as root. IMPORTANT=20
always check that you don't have that package (older version) already=20
installed. Having 2 versions of the same package installed is not good.=20=

You can remove the packages to be replaced using apt-get remove=20
[package_to_be_replaced].

Now that this is out of the way, let's get down to business
1. Download it here:=20
http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/download/garnome-0.20.0.tar.bz2
2. Uncompress it (use bunzip2 and tar of any GUI utility)
3. edit the garnome-0.20.0/gar.conf.mk (pico garnome-0.20.0/gar.conf.mk)
      replace the line "prefix ?=3D(HOME)/garnome" by: prefix =
=3D/opt/gnome2
	this will tell garnome to install the gnome 2 components into=20
/opt/gnome2 (avoiding messing up your current gnome stuff) - you can=20
pick another install directory if you like, just make sure you won't=20
overwrite anything
4. cd into garnome-0.20.0/meta/gnome-desktop
5. edit the Makefile (pico Makefile)
      remove the "gnome/gnome-terminal" entry in the LIBDEPS section.=20
gnome-terminal source won't compile because there is a line inversion.=20=

We'll fix that later.
6. become root (su)
7. type make install
8. Go have a coffee (or beer but be careful as it may impair your=20
ability to follow the rest of this HOW-TO) - it will take a while
9. Check periodically to see if everything works well (it most likely=20
will - the following are just in case)
9.1 If garnome complains that it cannot download something
	1. do a google search to find a site to download the source =
manually &=20
download it
	2. move (mv) the source (do not unpack it) into=20
garnome-0.20.0/gnome/[name]/download
make=20
install
9.2 If garnome is stopped and asks you about which file to patch:
	1. Hit return, garnome will ask you to skip patch, type y (yes) =
and=20
hit return
9.3 If garnome complains about a checksum test that failed (never saw=20
that one but who knows):
	1. you downloaded a bad source, follow step 9.1 to download =
manually=20
and retry
9.4 If garnome fails to compile something:
	1. Check what the error message is. If it is about libs, you may =
want=20
to remove the old libs (apt-get remove [name] as root)
	2. When you do this, you will have to "reset" garnome for that =
package=20
(in other words, garnome will have to redo the ./configure phase and=20
link to the good libs) to do this, cd into=20
garnome-0.20.0/gnome/[packagename] and remove the content of the=20
"cookie" dir (rm -rf cookie/*) and of the "work" dir (rm -rf work/*).
make=20
install

Hopefully, everything should have compiled now. If not, send an email=20
here... Maybe I will be able to help...

Let's fix gnome-terminal now...

1. cd into garnome-0.20.0/gnome/gnome-terminal
2. type make install (it will fail, don't worry)
3. cd into the work/gnome-terminal/src directory - we need to fix a=20
mistake in the source code for encoding.c
4. pico encoding.c
    Go to to line 356 and change
       const TerminalEncoding *e;
       charset =3D tmp->data;
       TerminalEncoding *encoding;
    to (just switch the 2 last lines)
       const TerminalEncoding *e;
       TerminalEncoding *encoding;
       charset =3D tmp->data;
6. make install (it should work now)

That is almost it... The only thing you have to do now is to configure=20=

your X to use gnome 2. Follow the instructions in step 10 of the FAQ=20
here: http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

Note that these instructions don't cover people using a CLI login=20
manager. If this is what you use, you can always edit your .xinitrc=20
(pico ~/.xinitrc) file to include the paths. Make sure you indicate the=20=

path to *your* gnome 2 install dir (the one you specified in the=20
gar.conf.mk, not necessarily the one specified in the garnome FAQ).

Two more things and you will be up and running...
1. You may also want to edit your /etc/ld.conf and add the=20
/opt/gnome2/lib (or the path you specified in gar.conf.mk) in the=20
beginning of the file. Run /sbin/ldconfig as root after to apply the=20
changes
2. run fc-cache as root (this will fix an error about x not finding any=20=

fonts)

Try startx, hope for the best and, if it works, enjoy life on the=20
bleeding edge! If it doesn't, go have another beer and retry in the=20
morning (maybe you had too much already).

After this is done, you probably will want to install additional stuff.=20=

You can build them individually by typing make install in one of the=20
garnome-0.22.0/gnome/[name_of_package_you_want_to_install] or you can=20
build one of the predefined groups, just like we did for gnome-desktop,=20=

in the garnome-0.22.0/meta/[name_of_group_you_want_to_install]. Look at=20=

the makefile (like we did in the beginning of this HOW-TO) to see what=20=

each Makefile will install.

Some of the Makefiles won't work (some are tricky). You'll need to=20
figure it out by yourself. If you want to build KDE, you will have to=20
download most of the sources manually (or edit the gar.conf.mk) to=20
point to a valid location (the files have been moved on most mirrors).

Additional help can be found here:=20
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2003-January/thread.html

So that's it... I hope I didn't forget anything. I find that most=20
HOW-TOs don't give enough details so I included more than you probably=20=

need.

If something goes wrong, check the garnome list (link just above)...

Gnome 2 looks so much better... It is worth the trouble (and as I said=20=

before, it is a learning experience as well).

Good luck!

=C9tienne=