Why Linux?

Les Bowen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 30 23:46:01 2003

Ted,

Sounds like you are in a similar situation as i am. I am a web and print
designer, but have recently taken an interest in programming outside of
web development. Frankly IMHO, neither Linux or Windows will ever offer a
better alternative to print publishing than my Mac, but my mac OS lags
behind in programming aspects. although OSX has given me greater control,
I still love linux, if for nothing else, for the fact that it makes me
part of the open-source community, which I have grown to love and admire,
and fully support. Aside from the print design aspects of OSX, the only
other reason I keep it around (OSX, that is) is that it supports the modem
on my iBook2, while linux does not. remember that hardware compatibility
may be an issue. check to make sure that your printers are supported under
linux, as well as any peripherals you may need to use. if they are not,
linux turns into more frustration than it is really worth. Let me give you
my point of view on each of your questions.

Ted Goranson said:
> Please, this is an honest question:
>
> A couple years back I installed YDL 2, but - as I already had working
> Macs, I could find nothing to do on Linux that I could not do better  on
> Mac OS X.

unless stability was an issue, this is very true. Linux also offered a
stable alternative to appleshareIP, which even at its culmination at
6.3.3, was never stable enough to run outide of small-scale applications.
the only application i found for YDL 2 was for a server I was
administering at the time.

> I am getting ready to reinvest in linux. I WILL do this, if for no
> other reason than I want to keep an awareness of what's going on.  Here
> is my question:
>
> Assuming that:
>
> - I already have fully loaded Macs (which means for instance that I
> already have Office and Photoshop so don't need applications that
> emulate them) , and

As far as photoshop, the GIMP tries to replace it, but it's not adequate,
as far as my needs, forcing me to keep my machines dual-booting or use
MOL. for office, you may find OpenOffice a refreshing alternative,
especially if you have moral qualms about using microsoft products.

> - for me the difference between free and what software costs is
> trivial if it helps me be more productive, and

Let me refer to others that you have to use the right tool for the right
job: Mac for productivity, Linux for development, Palm for mobility, and
windows for Solitaire.

Simply, unless you are into programming in the open-source community, the
only reason to use linux is stability over OS9. if you have OSX and don't
program, the change is pointless (linux die-hards may cringe at that, but
it's true, IMHO)

> - that speed hasn't been an issue for me

I doubt it has been for anyone using the ppc platform.

> ... concerning pure productivity, what might I look for in Linux?

Again, there is nothing in linux that won't be available in OSX, as afar
as productivity, IMHO

> Here are tentative opinions I have garnered:
>
> - DIVX playing is superior even on the same hardware

True

> - If I am developing open source products or using open source
> development tools, I'll find better support. This will be true for
> instance for PHP and Python but not necessarily JavaScript, or any of
> the C variants.

Definitely true of Python. though PHP has been ported adequately to OSX.
As long as you can get past the install, you'll do great with PHP. Check
out php.net and go to their docs on installing on an OSX box. I believe
there is still a link there with instructions.

> - If I want to do programming in a non-mainstream language (like
> Haskell) Linux support will be superior (to Mac).

Very true. Porting some of the less mainstream products to mac still lags
behind.

> - If I want to explore alternative desktop and user interface
> metaphors instead of simulations of the WIMP Mac (or windows which is
> the same thing), then Linux is the place. (But then, what?)

Gnome, KDE, blackbox, windowmaker, and others are available.

> - If I want to live in emaxen, it will be more complete and
> integrated in Linux.

No experience, but probably true.

> - If I want to do music and movie filesharing, Linux is better (more
> options and safer)

Exactly

> - The Linux community, and particularly the Linux/Mac community is a
> great culture to be a part of and that alone will elevate my quality  of
> life

No one on this list will deny that one

> Do I have this about right?

YUP!