Why Linux?

Natalia Portillo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 30 23:58:00 2003

Hi

> - DIVX playing is superior even on the same hardware
Yes? Really? Using what player? I with VLC on OS X get better
performance than a twice clocked x86 Linux or Windows (using same VLC)

> - If I am developing open source products or using open source
> development tools, I'll find better support. This will be true for
> instance for PHP and Python but not necessarily JavaScript, or any of
> the C variants.
I have PHP on OS X, perfectly working.
There is python for OS X, and JavaScript is a client-side language for
web browsers.
Also OS X and Linux compilers are the same. GCC. And you can always port
your favourite open-source compiler from Linux to OS X.

> - If I want to do programming in a non-mainstream language (like
> Haskell) Linux support will be superior (to Mac).
Read above

> - If I want to explore alternative desktop and user interface
> metaphors instead of simulations of the WIMP Mac (or windows which is
> the same thing), then Linux is the place. (But then, what?)
What alternatives? I never found no alternative to that
"desktop-oriented" gui.

> - If I want to live in emaxen, it will be more complete and
> integrated in Linux.
>
> - If I want to do music and movie filesharing, Linux is better (more
> options and safer)
Yes? You have, Hotline? And Carracho?
MacOS X natively shares via FTP, SMB, AFP, NFS and configuring some hide
apache options, WebDAV. And with products, also Hotline, and Carracho.
It also have mldonkey which support edonkey, overnet and gnutella
protocols (and the kazaa one is under implementation as far as i know).
Is there any other sharing format you need?

> - The Linux community, and particularly the Linux/Mac community is a
> great culture to be a part of and that alone will elevate my quality
> of life
And the MacOS one is bigger.

Regards
NOTE: These are personal opinions.