yum and/or apt bug?

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 15:02:01 2003

I have two different, but identically configured systems.

They have identical "yum.conf" and "apt/sources.list" files.  (Both are pointed
to the "ftp.ydl.net" server, but that doesn't seem to make any difference --
I've pointed them to the "ftp.yellowdoglinux.com" server and things don't
change.)

I've run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and "yum update" on both, and in
all cases, it reports "nothing to do".

Yet on one machine, "yum list installed" reports one version of three (samba
related) packages; while on the other machine it reports a different version of
the same three packages.  On all other packages the report is identical.  In
particular both "apt" and "yum" are at identical revs on both machines.

	apt                                      ppc        0.5.5cnc5-3c
	yum                                      noarch     1.0-1d

Here's the "diff" of the two reports.

========================

$ diff /tmp/installed_[lf]il
533,535c533,535
< samba                                    ppc        2.2.8-1a
< samba-client                             ppc        2.2.8-1a
< samba-common                             ppc        2.2.8-1a
---
> samba                                    ppc        2.2.8-1.3.0a
> samba-client                             ppc        2.2.8-1.3.0a
> samba-common                             ppc        2.2.8-1.3.0a
$

They can't both versions be the "newest", can they?

Any idea what gives?

Rick

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users