MySQL Configuration Problem

Denis Nikitin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 14 04:05:01 2003

Hi Joe,
I would check if mysqld is running first:
ps -ef | grep mysqld
You should have something like:
mysql     1019   991  0 10:52 pts/0    00:00:00
/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld
as an output.
If it's not running then try to start it:
 /etc/init.d/mysql start
I know, you 've said you have it configured to start at boot time - but
it could be easily starting on one run level and be killed when
you move to another (say 5 - with X Windows). I've seen such config out
of the box.
If mysqld is running - try to connect as 'root' first. Without the password:
/usr/bin/mysql -uroot
This is config (again) out the box.
Should work :)
Once you'll able to connect as root - I am sure you'll figure out how to
set permissions for
all other users you want to allow access to your mysql server.
Best regards,
Denis.