usb external drive

Eddie Bindt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 15 13:50:01 2003

CUOn Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Thomas wrote:

> Hi Greg
>
> I am either wondering. why they cut the kernel from 2.3 to 3.0 only
> working with new machines and several special devices.

I must totally disagree with this. I am running YDL since 1.* and the 3.0
release is the best ever. It runs and installed without problems on all
the machines I have. In fact, the newest machine I have is a G3 iBook1 ...
On my AWS9650 and my AWS9650SMP I run stock YDL kernels, with the original
scsi drivers loaded from initrd. No problem what so ever.
Oldworld machines might be a little less documented, but, if you know what
you are doing, it works great.
And yes, I also use an external USB disk, it is automaticly detected and
mounted by the stock kernel.
So stop blaming YDL, they do a great job.
Some types of hardware are not supported very well, but that is not YDL's
fault, YDL3 supports more hardware than any other release.

> ---maybe they have been too lazy to configure it for older machines too
Bull... Even on my ANS it works great.

> So they left a lot of problems on the users side,... - recompiling the
> kernel will do fine to solve it...
No need for, just configure your initrd and your modules the right way..

> And they did not tell us really why....
Nobody asked ...

> There are a lot of folks in this list that do not understand why they
> did do it that way...

> Thomas

Eddie