YDL3 Installation Issues!!!

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 19 15:49:01 2003

Dene Stringfellow wrote:

> System Configuration:
>
> B/W G3 server 256Mb RAM
> PCI Advansys Ultra2-Wide SCSI Card
> 2x ST318404LW  (18Gb) Hard Drives -  SCSI Id's: 0,1 respectively
> External SCSI DDS4 DAT Tape Drive  -  SCSI Id: 12

Does the machine support internal IDE drives? If I were you, I would
take a different approach. I would install the system on a non mirrored
IDE drive. Why? 90% of the i/os to the root and /etc partitions are during
boot. After that they just sit there. As for libraries, since most
programs used shared libarires, the parts used most often will stay in memory.

It also makes setting up and using the RAID array much simpler.

> 1)
> I'm aiming to setup a raid level 1 server in a small design studio to
> provide the following services:

Two seperate issues here. Print services don't need a lot of fast resources.
Keeping /var/spool off of the RAID makes sense. If you are using CUPS
to drive the printers, make sure to get foomatic-gswrapper, foomatic-rip
and the ppd files from linuxprinting.org and use CUPS' configuration
routines instead of redhat's.

If they are non postscript printers, they will require riping on the
server, make sure it's set up correctly.

> File and Print Services for Macs and PCs (NetAtalk and Samba)

Not too dificult. For example, let's assume that the raid array is mounted
as "/raid". "/home" could be a symlink to "/raid/home", or you could do it
for individual users.

> Internal Web Server (Apache)

Ok, things like log files, etc don't need to be on the raid array. If you
use a caching proxy, you would not want the cache on raid.

> Database Server (MySQL)

Raid is a good place to put the data, not necesarily the programs.

> The partitioning scheme I'm proposing to setup is:
>
> sda                            sdb
> --------------------------     --------------------------
> /boot        - 100Mb           /boot        - 100Mb
> /root        - 250Mb           /root        - 250Mb
> swap         - 512Mb           swap         - 512Mb
> /usr         - 2.5Gb           /usr         - 2.5Gb
> /home        - 12Gb            /home        - 12Gb
> /tmp         - 750Mb           /tmp         - 750Mb
> /var         - 750Mb           /var         - 750Mb

Huh, If it's a raid, you don't have  have sda and sdb, just md0.

> Is this OK, or would it be better to setup the partition scheme
> differently? Please advise.

And it's too complicated. I prefer /boot (100m) swap (2* real memory
but it's up to you*) and the rest one big partition.

* swap gives you a choice between bad performance and out of memory
messages. Some is good, too much is bad.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?