Quadruple boot YDL, Gentoo PPC, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9???

Neben Kabon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 19 19:13:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 20:19, mamonbbux wrote:
> Natalia Portillo a écrit :
> >> Theorically there is no problem
> > P.S.: Is like having more than one kernel in the boot ;)
>
> I agree with natalia.
>
> # on B&W, when BootX asks me "what?", I'm able to choose:
> or YDL_1 or YDL_2.3 or YDL_3.0 ...or (why not) MacOs_8.6 !
>
> # and if I choose YDL_3.0 (why...?) I have this other choice:
> or linux 2.4.20-8dcustom or linux 2.4.20-8d or linux 2.2-whynot?
>
> Next week I'm going to try gentoo-PPClive and also the Knoppix-mib PPC,
> on B&W as well as on older's. But it's just "to see", since I'm pretty
> tranquillous with my YDL_3, now.

I would like to here your experience with gentoo-PPClive.  I tried
running it and it booted O.K. to command line but I could never get the
graphical interface to work.

>From what I understand the normal gentoo installation compiles
everything from source so although it might be faster, it could require
some time getting it going.  My experience with compiling from source
with Fink on OSX is that it can sometimes take hours to compile some
code.  I left my ibook running all night once before it completed
compiling some code and I still had problems getting the software
running properly.

I have been pretty happy with YDL 3.0 on my iBook.  I recently installed
Mandrake 9.1 on my Athlon desktop (previously running Red Hat almost
exclusively) and I am actually impressed with some of Mandrakes
features.  I tried to migrate to RedHat 9.0 but it has been freezing up
on me everytime I try running it.  I may give Mandrake 9.1 PPC a try on
my iBook just for kicks.