yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #979 - 12 msgs

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 19 19:33:01 2003

At 07:14 PM 7/19/2003 -0600,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 20:19, mamonbbux wrote:
> > # on B&W, when BootX asks me "what?", I'm able to choose:
> > or YDL_1 or YDL_2.3 or YDL_3.0 ...or (why not) MacOs_8.6 !
> >
> > # and if I choose YDL_3.0 (why...?) I have this other choice:
> > or linux 2.4.20-8dcustom or linux 2.4.20-8d or linux 2.2-whynot?
> >
> > Next week I'm going to try gentoo-PPClive and also the Knoppix-mib PPC,
> > on B&W as well as on older's. But it's just "to see", since I'm pretty
> > tranquillous with my YDL_3, now.
>
> >From what I understand the normal gentoo installation compiles
>everything from source so although it might be faster, it could require
>some time getting it going.  My experience with compiling from source
>with Fink on OSX is that it can sometimes take hours to compile some
>code.  I left my ibook running all night once before it completed
>compiling some code and I still had problems getting the software
>running properly.

I've been running gentoo on some x86 boxes lately at work, and
yes, it can definitely take as much as a day to build everything
you might want to install.

However, gentoo also offers the option of installing from binaries
at first; later you can optimize the stuff you care about most,
after your machine is up and running.

In practice, the install is largely turn-key (compared to what you
might expect for a source distro), so you just turn to one of your
many other machines while it grinds on :-). So far, I've had no
problems with the out-of-the-box source-based install.  On x86,
it's the highest quality distro I've seen so far.

Cheers,
   - Bob

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer
rfuhrer@ba-dsg.net