Anybody using "dump"/"restore" to a remote system?

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 20 22:09:01 2003

Thanks, Nathan!

I haven't got a tape drive for this system, and don't plan to get
one since ATA disk space is now cheaper per gigabyte than tape
media alone (even ignoring the fixed cost of the tape drive
itself!)  My alternative strategy is to build a machine with a
bunch of big ATA disks, raid5 them together, and do dump/restore to
it over the network from a cron job on the main server.

At least that *was* the plan until I discovered that dump to a
remote file died with a segfault.

So I got the source for the latest "dump/restore" from the author's
web site, and compiled it.  (YDL is using code from source that's
about 2 years old).  The result of my compiles seems to work, and
it has some nice new features (as well as fixing my bug).  So I'm
happy.  Though I would like to get YDL to update their distributed
dump/restore.

Rick