pismo Qs/short rant

rob yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 21 23:56:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-2--1058281234

Hi
Long time linux user on the x86 architecture and heard so much about
Mac OS X.
Got a pismo on eBay,installed more RAM(576mb),installed 10.2,upgraded
to 10.2.6 and am not happy. Maybe they will win the battle for joe
clicker with the rumored port for 386 machines. And thats OK. Still I'm
not happy. But I said short rant

  Want linux on the pismo. YDL seems like a good distro(used Suse for
years).
  I've read YDL offers KDE and Gnome as window managers,are there
other(leaner) window managers?
  Will my Iomega  predator usb cd-rw  be supported?
Will I be able to watch DVD movies via the standard DVD drive? From YDL
site: DVD movies may be played using freely available, 3rd party
software. Where do I get the third party software? Does it work well?
I only have dial up and will wind up purchasing YDL 3.0, so I don't
want to shell out the cash and find unhappiness.
  If these have been answered in the past, I apologize for repetition.
TIA