YDL3 Installation Issues!!!

Dene Stringfellow yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 24 10:56:09 2003

Thanks for the replies so far.

The system I'm configuring has no IDE drives only the SCSI card and
drives which leads on to the second
part of my original question as I am unable run the installation due to
the failure of the install boot OS to
detect the drives attached to the SCSI card:

   2)
   I have low-level formatted both drives (- to remove the existing
   mirrored partitions) with the drive partition types set to
unallocated
   using Apple's Drive Setup utility without any problems.
   (BTW, both the drives and the SCSI card operate without any issues
under
   the MacOS.)

   The install CD 1 appears to booting correctly into Linux correctly in

   preparation for the system installation - however, when the boot
system
   takes an age trying to load the Advansys SCSI Driver and subsequently

   returns the following warning screen:

   Warning:

   No hard drives have been found.
   You probably need to manually
   choose device drivers for the
   installation to succeed. Would
   you like to select drivers now?

   Yes      No

   I select Yes and get the following screen:

   The following devices have been found on your system:

   AdvanSys SCSI

   Done     Add Device

   I select done to proceed and eventually the installation Welcome
screen
   is displayed.
   I select Next to proceed.
   Then I select:  English(English) for the language
       United Kingdom for the keyboard layout
       1 button Mouse (USB) with the Emulate 3 buttons options for the
   mouse
       Server for the installation type
       Manually partition with Disk Druid for the partition method

   I then get the following error dialogue:

   No drives found

   An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on
   which to create new file systems. Please check your
   hardware for the cause of this problem.

   OK

   If you click OK the system automatically reboots!

   I've tried selecting Add Device instead of done at devices found
screen
   and then selecting SCSI but the only options are:

   Adaptec AHA-2740, 28xx, 29xx, 39xx (aic7xxx)
   Initio SCSI (initio)
   Symbios 53C896 (sym53c8xx)

   None of these options are valid. (Incidentally, the scroll bar
indicator
   when selecting the Adaptec device does not reach its top position (-
   which I would expect when it reaches its bottom position when
selecting
   the Symbios device!)).

   The only thing I can do at present is power the machine down!

   It seems to me that the AdvanSys driver is being recognised but is
not
   Please advise.

   Thanks in advance for your assistance.

   Regards